[NetDev-People] 0x13: Talk, Moonshot: Improved syscall batching for network I/O

Jamal Hadi Salim jhs at mojatatu.com
Mon Feb 11 13:53:59 UTC 2019

Network applications can benefit from reduced CPU
cycles by amortizing the system call overhead of
network I/O operations.
In this talk Rahul et al review two existing
interfaces for network I/O batching namely
recvmmsg()/sendmmsg() and SO_RCVLOWAT and then
propose extensions to these mechanisms.

We show an 8x syscall reduction with our traffic
patterns (gaming scenarios) with the usage of such
extensions.

More info:
https://netdevconf.org/0x13/session.html?talk-syscall-batch

A reminder to all:
Early bird registration is still open until Feb 20th.
https://netdevconf.org/0x13/registration.html

cheers,
jamal